Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's a Party in Monterrey

Though I arrived at the Monterrey Municipal Airport with high hopes, doubts lingered in my mind, like, "Will I fit in socially? Will I be able to make friends?" I took a cab from the airport and saw the city for the first time. The driver pointed to our right, and there I saw Cerro de la Silla, the icon of Monterrey. I couldn't believe I was moving here without knowing a soul! To make matters worse, the burritos I had just eaten were causing problems in my digestive system, and I longed for a home-cooked meal. Just when I felt overwhelmed, however, the driver changed the radio station, and the Eagles song was on! Allow me to restate this fact to emphasize it's importance: the Eagles song was on.

Without thinking twice, I found myself dancing in the taxi, with my hands above my head, and all my nervousness was gone. My head was nodding, as if to say, "Yes!", my hips swaying, as if to express confidence and enjoyment. With my hands up in the air, and the music filling the air, I realized that everything would be alright--it's a party in Monterrey.

A few days later, I arrived at a party with hundreds of local students. I had previously been unaware of the cultural norms in Mexico, and arrived in casual clothing unfit for a party of this nature. As I entered the room and saw everyone in their fine outfits, I could feel everyone noting my interesting style, and concluding that I was indeed foreign to the area. I attempted to meet some other students, but this proved to be more difficult without the support my "homies" have provided for me in social settings previously. This was no Provo party--all I could see were strange drinks and styles. Feeling out of place, I was about to return to my residence when I heard a familiar sound--the Bon Jovi song was on! The familiarity of the music unified me with those around me. The Bon Jovi song was on!

Again, I found myself lost in the moment; my hands high above my head, shouting and singing with my classmates, my troubles fleeing into the night. My head was nodding, as if to say, "Yes!", my hips swaying, as if to express confidence and enjoyment. With my hands up in the air, and the music filling the air, I realized that everything would be alright--it's a party in Monterrey.

3 comments:

  1. Ha. I approve of this.
    Oh, and happy birthing day, Jack. Keep those hips a swinging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. James. You were born with all the style, good dance moves, and humor of the family, And what did I get? The best brother EVER.
    This is so funny, I read it 20 times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like you kind of maybe sort of quoted Miley Cyrus in that post. Awesome. And look, people are commenting on your blog! AND you're coming THIS WEEK!

    ReplyDelete